IMPORTANT NAME REACTIONS IN HALOALKANES AND HALOARENES
- Finkelstein Reaction: When alkyl halide reacts with sodium iodide in the presence of Acetone. Alkyl iodide and Sodium halide is formed.
- Swarts Reaction: When alkyl Bromide or Chloride reacts with silver or mercurous fluoride , Fluoro halide are formed .for ex.
- Hundsdiecker Reaction: Silver salts of carboxylic acids are decomposed by Bromine or iodine in the presence of carbon Tetrachloride.
- Sandmeyer’s Reaction: Chloroarenes and Bromoarenes are prepared by treating a freshly prepared diazonium salt solution with cuprous chloride or Bromide dissolved in corresponding halogen acids. This is known as Sandmeyer Reaction.
- Gattermann Reaction: It is a modification of sandmeyer reaction. We use copper powder in the presence of halogen acid in place of cuprous halide dissolved in halogen acid (CuCl/HCl or CuBr/HBr).
- Wurtz Reaction: When two alkyl halides are treated with sodium, ether, alkanes are formed. This reaction is used to increase number of Carbon atoms.
Wurtz Fittig Reaction: When alkyl halide are treated with aryl halides in presence of sodium in anhydrous ether halogen atom is replaced by alkyl group. This is known as Wurtz fittig Reaction
- Fittig Reaction: When haloarenes react with Sodium in presence of ether diphenyl is formed. This reaction is called Fittig reaction.